Friday 17 June 2016

Immigration Debate

In my blog the other day I mentioned that those voting "Out" are doing so for different reasons and expect to see different outcomes than others.

During last night's (16 June) BBC Northwest Tonight programme Political Editor Arif Ansari spoke to two men in Preston about how they were voting. It illustrated my point well.

This is a transcript of the conversation:
Shane: Out
John: Out
AA: you're very clear about that, why is that?
S: because there's too many Polish
J: No, you can't say that
S: Who can't say it, of course I can say it, I'll say it as it comes, there's too many Polish
(AA voice-over: they say new immigrants have made life worse for people like them)
J: what do they do, you tell me what they do.
AA: well they do jobs don't they?
J: yes, jobs that we won't do
S: they do jobs that we won't do
AA: well that's quite important isn't it?
J: why?
S: it means that we're out of work
AA: don't you agree that there's a lot of people who won't do certain jobs that they are willing to do?
J: yes
S: yes, but would you get up at like 3 o'clock in morning, 4 o'clock, and work for like 6 quid an hour, cos I won't, I wouldn't even get out of...
AA: but someone has to
J: they will do a lot of crap things that we won't do

So you have to ask yourself what is it they want? They say they want to stop Polish workers coming here, to do jobs they admit they won't do, so who will do the work? The logical answer, and one which I'm sure Iain Duncan Smith would subscribe to is to stop their benefits so they have no option but to get up at 3 o'clock and work for 6 quid (actually £7.20 minimum wage), and as a taxpayer I'd be happy to see that too, but I'm not sure they know that that is what their vote may bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment