Sunday 27 October 2013

Vote Independent!

No not for Scotland, although after watching "Sunshine on Leith" (twice) I would have easily put my cross into the Yes box.  If you haven't been to see it yet, make sure you do, yes it's cheesy and  obviously the script is made to fit the songs, but I guarantee you'll leave the cinema with a smile on your face.

The independence I'm advocating is from the dull, boring, same old same old, identikit high streets.  You remember when you were a kid and going on holiday was an adventure, partly because everything was different, the shops were different, the sweets were different, the lolly ices were different, well not anymore, it doesn't matter where in the world you go, you'll be met with the same McDonalds, identical Tescos, indistinguishable Starbucks where they think writing your mispelt name on a cup equals service.  I can never understand why people queue up in Liverpool One to buy a Large, Skinny, Extra Hot Nondescript Dishwater (even if your name, or variation thereof, is scrawled on the cup), when a few minutes walk away you can find an independent, get a seat, and a cup of enjoyable coffee, brought over to you by someone who'll speak to you because they want to, not because the corporate manual says they have to.

Well a revolution is underway, and as usual, Liverpool is leading it.  We're not storming the Bastille, but we are taking to the streets armed with a plastic card and an App.  Independent Liverpool the brainchild of David Williams and Oliver Press only started this year, but their army of cardholders has mobilised throughout the city.  You can buy your card online, or pick one up from the Bold Street branch of those lovely guys in Utility for just £10.  The card is valid for a year, and there are various discounts and special deals from all the shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and business who have signed up, which means you'll be in profit in no time at all.  But here's the USP behind the card - all the business and services are independent. Owned and run by real local people, who care about their city, and pay their taxes!

There's even a handy App so you can check where to shop, along with reviews, and details of the discounts available, whilst you're out and about. 

One of the best aspects of the scheme is finding new places, especially the ones off the beaten track. I discovered Free State Kitchen a while back, in fact I've more than saved my £10 card fee in the 10% off food discount there alone.  My good friend Alex, who likes her cocktails, is rather taken by the 2 for 1 offer at The Peacock; and if you fancy a walk along the beach in the company of the Iron Men, the lovely people at the nearby The Crosby Tea Rooms will give you a free cup of tea when you buy some of their delicious cake.

Talking of cake, if you're down in the Baltic Quarter at weekends, Unit 51 will give a whopping 20% off.  20%! Off cake! (actually its off everything, but I like cake, which is why I'd eaten most of it before I took the photo - and if you look carefully you can see my card - my card, get your own! - making a guest appearance)
 



Today I made my way down to Siren on the edge of the Baltic, which was an oasis of calm on a Saturday afternoon, and sampled their Halluomi Burger with Sweet Potato Fries, which was absolutely delicious, I'll definitely be heading down there again.



These are just a taster of the nearly 50 different companies signed up to #TheCard, with more being added every week. I've only mentioned some of the food and drink venues, but there's a food shop, clothes shops, hairdressers, bookshops, masseuse, heck you can even get a discount on laptop repairs!  You discover and support local independent business, meet some lovely people, and save money, that's a win win and, eh, win in anyone's book.

2 comments:

  1. a) Nice to see you blogging :)

    b) Whilst I'm very strongly opposed to 'Indepencence' (aka 'separation') of Scotland from the rest of the UK, I do agree that the chain eating outlets are depressing, so agree with your 'independence' theme for those. The last time I was in a Starbucks, it seemed like a great effort for them to serve me decaffeinated coffee and when it came it wasn't that great. In Spain or France once can get a properly made STRONG decaffeinated 'espresso' coffee in any two-bit bar or coffee bar - trying to get this in the UK any place is nigh on impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS/ I should add that whenever I pass through Gatwick I usually have a meal at 'Cafe Rouge' (in either of the two terminals) - OK it's a chain, but they do serve proper coffee and just a couple of days ago I had a very nice single decaff express to round off my meal, plus of course a small glass of their house red. Serving decent, basic food is not difficult, even for a chain - it just requires a minimum of planning and of course a clientele that wants to eat 'proper' food and is willing to pay a little extra. Amusingly on Tuesday at Gatwick I was seated next to a gentleman who from his accent sounded as if he was from the north of England, perhaps Yorkshire. When ordering, I was amused to hear him consistently try to 'Englify' his order - he wanted to order a pint of 'Becks' draught to start with - he was informed by the (perhaps Polish?) waitress, the same one who had served me, that they didn't stock this, but instead suggested a bottled Leff, which he did order and seemed to enjoy, he then tried to order a dish not on the menu (but which would no doubt be available in most British pub-grub restaurants), but finally settled for a steak-frites with a side salad, I was particularly amused with his beer order when he remarked, in defeat, "oh well, I suppose it's a French bistro". I enjoyed my meal as I almost always do when eating there, and he seemed to too. In my experience at Gatwick there are only 2 places to eat decently, Cafe Rouge and another chain which I think is called Trader Jo's or Jo's Kitchen or something like that (I had a 7 hour wait at Gatwick on Tuesday so ate at both in different terminals), if you don't want to be lumbered with the usual burgers or sandwiches or fat/sugar laden rubbish - a little more expensive, but pretty reasonable in my view.

    ReplyDelete